Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Miracle Maker


More of smog than of stars[1],

The race was a passionate love

For the art of power,

The dance of the drivers

And the music of the engines. I waited helplessly.

My sweaty fingers twined together, crossing them

So tightly. It hurt. My lips chanted his name - “Fernando[2]”,

With silent prayer for this horse of a broken leg,

He never won, but today was special.

We would conquer this airless summit

For I was there to witness. Not on a television,

But of perceptible form, he rode his yellow Renault

In front of my moist eyes, he climbed up the order.

But more than a mere idol, more than inspiration,

He was breath itself – life.

Like water, like a mirror, he was me

And he was here for me.

I am one amongst the thousands, but I was different.

Like a black pin on a cork-board of white.

I promised that he will win; it was tangible

Like smelling this sweet, pungent concoction of a miracle

I knew about this, they didn’t.

The golden trophy, the divine podium, I saw myself in them.

He had won, and had waited naively

To do so in my witness

It was of a joy unfelt, unprecedented, and yet it hurt

This vicissitude of a million, I made it happen

But he is blind to even my existence.



[1] The first Formula 1 night race was held in Singapore.

[2] Fernando Alonso is a Formula 1 driver

No comments:

Post a Comment